Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Conflcts and I

The first connection that I have with conflict resolution is that I was born in Taiwan, an island in constant tensions and conflicts with Mainland China.

I have been an independent person since high school. After the age of 15, I lived by myself in Taipei, 400 kilometers away from home. I travel a lot; I don’t travel with a group, and I travel many times alone, which allows me to see the world the way it is and allows me to go to places where there are not many tourists. I have a global orientation, traveling to more than 17 countries and living in France, England, USA and Taiwan. I have lived in France for more two years. When I was in high school, I spent one year in the province of France. I spent my senior year in Paris, studying International Law and Organizations. As a result of traveling intensively, it’s easier for me to get used to a new culture.

I also took a class in Cross-cultural communications at GWU, in which I learned to communicate with the people from different nationalities. Cross-cultural communications deepened my interests in being an international negotiator.

I was Chief of the dormitory committee while I was a sophomore, and I needed to handle various incidents and conflicts everyday. There are 1100 girls in five dorms. Some girls caused troubles for the neighboring girls. I received the complaints, sometimes anonymous ones, and then I needed to go to the girls who were placed a complaint and talk to them. I acted as a mediator and a facilitator of intra-dormitory conflicts. I also served as the liaison between the residents and the administrative level, the university. In many events, I needed to represent the interests and concerns of the student body and demanded the school to improve the provided facilities and services. I think that this precious experience gives me a very good start in conflict resolution and negotiations.

No comments: